Top tips for getting into YOGA
I often get asked how I got started practicing yoga…
Here’s my top tips based on what worked for me:
- Take inspiration from others you see doing yoga as the trigger to start.
- Google all the yoga studios in your area (lots of gyms hold classes too). Print out the timetables, and then go to a range of studios and classes. Most studios hire mats so you can just turn up in some comfy clothes that allow you to move freely.
- Find out what you like and what you don’t like. You might like the slow yoga classes where you relax and release into the poses, over the strength and athletic based ones. Or you might like to sweat it out in a hot yoga class rather than chant it out.
- Find a friend to try the classes with. It’s always more fun with a mate.
- Sign up for some workshops. Lots of studios host intensive workshops (2-3 hours) led by senior teachers. These are a great way to get hands on advice, guidance and tips. There is more time for questions and detailed instructions.
- Get on You Tube and follow a few yoga channels. I like DoYogaWithMe, Yoga with Candace, Yoga with Adriene and Kino Yoga for practices to follow.
- Don’t worry about not being bendy or flexible enough. A good teacher will offer modifications to cater for the injured and inexperienced. You will be surprised how quickly your flexibility improves and how much stronger you will feel.
- Just give it a go
Good luck. Let me know how you get on!